Monday, January 25, 2010

Trembling Before G-d



Ten years later, I finally watched Trembling Before G-d (Sandi Dubowski, 2001) and I see what all the hype was about. It was riveting! It's a great in-depth example of the way one part of one of the major world religions deals with homosexuality. The stories were fantastic, what was quelled from each of the participants. Just extraordinary editing, characters, etc. I was trying to go to bed and watched this just to get a taste of it, but I ended up watching the whole thing.


(Originally posted January 22, 2010 @ My World Bank Lunches)

1 comment:

  1. James and I watched this a few nights ago...it seemed like a bad dream and also a kind of parody. honing in on gay hassidic jews definitely highlights the pain of queerness in any context by being hemmed in by absolutist religious morality. i kept thinking, i hate religion. i'm so glad my parents didn't raise me with a religion. that being said, i do lament that they didn't raise me with any kind of spirituality. i recently watched a couple episodes of big love with emily, and i couldn't help but compare the mormon cult culture with the orthodox jewish culture...i eventually fell asleep while watching, and trembling before g-d definitely crept into my dreams. i remember feeling so trapped, but i also watched the movie with an inevitable feeling of judgment. i did really like quite a few of the candid shots of certain people- like the older gay man on the street talking to the random passerby, or the camera following the woman around in an outdoor market.

    ReplyDelete